Thursday 11 September 2014

【Penang Gourmet】A 35 Over Years Koay Teow Th'ng Hidden In The Alley | Clarke Street

Lebuh Clarke Koay teow Th'ng
The Hidden Koay Teow Th'ng at Clarke Street


If you are familiar with George Town, then you must know that it has many hidden alleys and some times you get to find a hidden gem inside these alleys. Well, the famous Toh Soon Cafe is one of those hidden gems. Today, I happened to pass by Clarke Street and bumped into this alley with a hidden gem. The alley was crowded with customers that were enjoying the Koay Teow Th'ng and I have joined in the fun.

Lebuh Clarke Koay teow Th'ng

This Koay Teow Th'ng stall is run by a pair of spouses and his mother. The hawker's mother said that they have been selling Koay Teow Th'ng since 1977, which they have been selling for 37 years until today. Beside selling Koay Teow Th'ng, they also sell bean sprout chicken and oily cabbage.

Lebuh Clarke Koay teow Th'ng

The hawker's mother told me that usually the food sell in alley is cheaper and with more ingredients compare to coffee shop as they don't have to pay the rental. The Koay Teow Th'ng they sold is at a price of RM3.50 with one big fish ball, two meat balls, pork slices and other ingredients.

Lebuh Clarke Koay teow Th'ng

Koay Teow Th'ng / Dry Koay Teow - RM3.50

Though the ingredients were plenty, but the portion is a bit small. I cant get myself full with just one bowl. As for the taste, the soup is a little bit salty for me (I prefer sweet one), but the fish ball was nice as it tastes sweet.

Lebuh Clarke Koay teow Th'ng

Oily Cabbage - RM3

I was a bit disappointed with this oily cabbage as it was too salty for me and the sauce is dilute (I prefer concentrated one).

Lebuh Clarke Koay teow Th'ng

咖啡冰 Ice Coffee - RM1.50

I ordered ice coffee for my drink and it suites my taste. The drink stall and the Koay Teow Th'ng stall are two separated stalls. The hawker's mother told me that the drink stall just changed to a new hawker yesterday as the previous hawker was involve in an accident and didn't sell drink anymore since then. She quietly told me that the coffee sold by the previous hawker was nicer..haha..

Lebuh Clarke Koay teow Th'ng

The hawker's mother told me that they used to live in Clarke Street, in the building next to the alley (now is a green building). She said that their house rental that time was just RM25. Really so cheap!!! One day, a man from Kuala Lumpur has bought the whole building and they were forced to move out. Right now they are living at Argyll Road.

Lebuh Clarke Koay teow Th'ng

The alley is situated near the crossroad of Clarke Street and Argyll Road, at the back of Caltex petrol station. Their business hours is from 7 AM to 2 PM, closed on Tuesday.



This post was originally written on 11th August 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

就是我啦 · It‘s Me

Tour Directions Penang