Sunday 26 October 2014

【Penang Gourmet】The Hawker Center That Is Full Of My University Memories | Golden Phoenix Restaurant

双溪赖金凤凰美食中心(前身是Bali-Bali)
Grand opening of Golden Phoenix Restaurant

Click for Chinese Version

While I was refreshing my Facebook wall yesterday, I saw a Bali-Bali hawker center (previously) photo post by a friend. Without delay, I shut down my laptop, took out my camera and walked to Bali-Bali immediately. As a former USM student, there are so much memory I had with Bali-Bali. Unfortunately, it was somehow closed for more than one year. There was no news about it since then until last month when I saw a banner hanging in front of it. It said that a large scale hawker center will be opening soon. I was so excited when I knew the news as the place of my precious memory is coming back! The renovation works started about the end of August and I waited patiently for it's opening everyday since then. And finally, it was opened yesterday! However, it was not called Bali-Bali anymore, it is known as Golden Phoenix Restaurant from now on.


双溪赖金凤凰美食中心(前身是Bali-Bali)

I reached Golden Phoenix Restaurant at around 1 PM and nearly all the table were occupied at that time (I took this photo after I had my lunch). When I chatted with the boss later, she told me that they didn't do any publicity work, all the customers just came by their own will. I looked at the customers, most of them were senior citizen and many were the senior students from USM. It must be that all of them were anticipating for the opening day just as I do!

双溪赖金凤凰美食中心(前身是Bali-Bali)

There are more seats and stalls in Golden Phoenix Restaurant than the previous Bali-Bali. I took a little walk inside the hawker center and I actually felt hot after a while. I have informed this problem to the boss and she said that they will installed some coolers later on. She add on that she wanted to provide a comfortable environment for the customer to dine in.

双溪赖金凤凰美食中心(前身是Bali-Bali)

I was having my lunch at the outside seats (the inside seats were fully occupied already). The outside is covered with tents that are installed with fans. It was actually quite cool to sit outside as I can feel the wind blew from outside.

双溪赖金凤凰美食中心(前身是Bali-Bali)

Before Golden Phoenix was opened for business, I will have a look at this Famous Sarawak Kolo Mee stall whenever I passed through it. I have been in Penang for 5 years and I have only tried the kolo mee at House of Kolo Mee. The taste was similar to that of my hometown but still I can feel the different. So, I was really hoping that this Famous Sarawak Kolo Mee stall can match my hometown taste. When I ordered the Kolo Mee, I was a little bit disappointed when I saw the hawker was not a Chinese (no meaning of racist, it was merely because all the Kolo Mee I ate at my hometown were prepared by Chinese).

双溪赖金凤凰美食中心(前身是Bali-Bali)

Teh Ice【RM1.50】

While waiting for the Kolo Mee, I have ordered a Teh Ice. Personally think that the Teh Ice doesn't taste strong enough. It was lack of sweetness.

双溪赖金凤凰美食中心(前身是Bali-Bali)

  Kolo Mee(Small)【RM4.50】

Well, I was really disappointed with this Kolo Mee. Let's talk about the price first. In my hometown, I can eat two plates of Kolo Mee with RM4.50. As for the taste, it was a little bit salty and I cant feel the taste of Kolo Mee actually. Not original (I apologies for the critics as I am very picky when it comes to Kolo Mee and Sarawak Laksa).

双溪赖金凤凰美食中心(前身是Bali-Bali)

The noodle of Kolo Mee was dry and the mouthfeel was bad. I have told the boss about the taste of the Kolo Mee. She said that it is okay to critic and they are willing to accept the critics so that they can be better.

双溪赖金凤凰美食中心(前身是Bali-Bali)

Teh Ice【RM1.50】

After I told the boss about the taste of the Teh Ice, she treated me with another glass of Teh Ice. She said that the worker have done some mistake when preparing the previous Teh Ice so this one would be the original one. And yes, the original one and the previous one have different taste. The original one has more heavy taste of tea and it was not sweet. The taste was acceptable for me but I would prefer a sweeter one (personal preference).

双溪赖金凤凰美食中心(前身是Bali-Bali)

There are more than thirty stalls in Golden Phoenix Restaurant. They have morning shift stalls and night shift stalls. One of the familiar morning shift stalls is the Green House Hokkien Mee.

Golden Phoenix Restaurant at Sungai Dua (previously known as Bali-Bali)

There are few stalls in Golden Phoenix Restaurant selling dishes from other country. I saw the stalls selling Italian food, Japanese food and Arabian food.

Golden Phoenix Restaurant at Sungai Dua (previously known as Bali-Bali)

The boss told me that some of the stalls were run by the chef from restaurant.

Golden Phoenix Restaurant at Sungai Dua (previously known as Bali-Bali)

  Beef Fried Rice【RM8】

I came here for dinner again with my friend. This is the beef fried rice that my friend ordered and his comment was it tastes normal only. By the way, the fried rice wasn't quite big in portion but the price is RM8. It was quite expensive (especially for USM student).

Golden Phoenix Restaurant at Sungai Dua (previously known as Bali-Bali)

  BBQ Pork Chicken Rice【RM5】

This is the BBQ Pork Chicken Rice that I ordered. The taste was overall quite nice, the chili sauce was good and the soup was spicy enough. The only thing that I don't like is that some of the chicken wasn't boneless.

Golden Phoenix Restaurant at Sungai Dua (previously known as Bali-Bali)

  Coffee Ice【RM1.50】

It would be nicer if the coffee ice is more saturated.

Golden Phoenix Restaurant at Sungai Dua (previously known as Bali-Bali)

Golden Phoenix Restaurant is currently having a promotion. Get a tote bag for free with purchase of 3 cans or bottles of Coke / Sprite / Fanta / H&E / Minute Maid Pulpy.

Golden Phoenix Restaurant at Sungai Dua (previously known as Bali-Bali)

What if you cant buy 3 cans of Coke? It's okay, you will still get a free key chain for purchasing two cans of Coke.

Golden Phoenix Restaurant at Sungai Dua (previously known as Bali-Bali)

Hereby, I wish Golden Phoenix Restaurant a thriving and prosperous business! I think I will be there quite often as there are still thirty more stalls to try!

Address
2-G-2, Jalan Sungai Dua, 11700, Pulau Pinang

Business Hour
6 AM - 1 AM(Open Daily)

Contact
012-420 6888



This post was originally written on 26th September 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

就是我啦 · It‘s Me

Tour Directions Penang