Tuesday 16 September 2014

【Penang Gourmet】Wantan Mee In The Hundred Over Years Old Kopitiam | Argyll Road

Wantan Mee at Argyll Road
The hundred over years old kopitiam

Click for Chinese Version

 In Argyll Road, there is a kopitiam with a history of over hundred years. The kopitiam has the name Tai Wah Cafe and originally they were only selling drinks and breakfast. Then, an economy rice stall moved in but their business doesn't get much attention from the local and thus it was closed down soon. More than ten years ago, another stall moved in. This stall is selling wantan mee and they are still running the business at this kopitiam until today.

Wantan Mee at Argyll Road

Still remember the Koay Teow Th'ng at Lebuh Clarke that I posted few days ago? This kopitiam is just not far away from the Koay Teow Th'ng stall and can be seen from there. Actually, my original plan on that day was to try out this wantan mee, but too bad I have no fate with it. When I reached the kopitiam (around 11 AM), the wantan mee already sold out. I went back to this kopitiam a couple of days later and this time I managed to eat the wantan mee and the hawker does remembered me!

Wantan Mee at Argyll Road

Though the wantan mee hawker has only sold wantan mee at Tai Wah Cafe for ten years plus, but he has an experience of selling wantan mee for over forty years. Previously, he was selling wantan mee at Chulia Street and he has been selling for over thirty years at there. The hawker told me that many of the customers that came to eat his wantan mee at this cafe used to be his regular customers at Chulia Street.

Wantan Mee at Argyll Road

Ice Coffee 【RM1.60】

I have ordered an ice coffee (it seems like I have taking a like towards coffee recently XD). The ice coffee here is a bit dilute and not that sweet. In fact, it was a bit bitter.

Wantan Mee at Argyll Road

Wantan Mee (medium) 【RM4】

I have not having my breakfast yet so I have ordered a medium size wantan mee as my brunch. I get myself full with just one plate of medium size wantan me. The noodle they put in was a lot, but the ingredients were just little. They only put two small wantan in it (though you can add on wantan, 10pcs for RM2.50). As for the taste, it was just normal to me.

Wantan Mee at Argyll Road

  Oily Vegetable 【RM2】

I like the sauce of the oily vegetable. It was saturated with some degree of sweetness. The only thing I dislike is that they were using Chinese cabbage instead of lettuce. For me, lettuce is a must when it comes to oily vegetable (油菜) and it will be better if it is added with some shredded pork (the price will be quite expensive though).

Wantan Mee at Argyll Road

Clear Soup 【RM0.30】

I saw they are selling clear soup and I have ordered one to try. Personally don't really like their clear soup as the MSG taste was quite heavy. I feel even thirstier after having the clear soup.

Wantan Mee at Argyll Road

Here is the list of foods and their respective prices for reference.

Wantan Mee at Argyll Road

Business Hour
7.00 AM - 11.30 AM
Closed on Tuesday

Address
86 Jalan Argyll, Georgetown, 10050 Pulau Penang
(Beside Caltex petrol station)



This post was originally written on 16th August 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

就是我啦 · It‘s Me

Tour Directions Penang